The stages of a side project
One experience of mine, though it has roughly mapped to previous side projects:
- Wow this thing that has no business model is a cool idea, I wonder if anyone has done it before?
- This is fun, let’s spend an evening hacking on it
- Wow this is taking way more time than I thought it would …
- Can I do this without spending any money? Let’s use AWS free tier to get this going
- OK let’s ship this thing, wow it’s getting a lot of attention! Front-page on hackernews, subreddit, etc.
- I’m totally ready for this, I have a scaling plan
- Oops my scaling plan is completely useless because the bottlnecks are not where I expected they would be
- Wow traffic really drops off when it isn’t on hackernews 🤔
- Oh wait someone tweeted it, there goes traffic again..
- I should probably add CI to make this a bit easier to maintain
- OK things are stable again
- Wait my free tier is about to expire, let’s figure out how to host this for free by using multi-cloud
- Whoa this is taking longer than I thought
- .. years pass
- OK something is broken and getting some email complaints, I really have lost interest in this thing
- Have a free weekend, let’s look at the code from years ago
- Good god, it’s terrible
- Well, a bunch of things are now deprecated, let’s at least fix that
- OK so if I am going through this trouble I should probably re-write some of it, especially the last parts that were just thrown together…
- Whoa this is taking longer than I thought…
Introducing a newer version of cmdchallenge .. A lone survivor in a sea of broken things I have had an itch to build.